“Imagination does not breed insanity. Exactly what does breed insanity is reason. Poets do not go mad; but chess-players do. Mathematicians go mad, and cashiers; but creative artists very seldom. I am not, as will be seen, in any sense attacking logic: I only say that this danger does lie in logic, not in imagination.” G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
ARTS & LETTERS, the national literary journal at Georgia College, is run by the schools MFA program and the reading period for poetry, fiction, flash fiction and creative nonfiction is August 1st through January 31st. $3 submission fee. Modest payment. Details HERE.
BRILLIANT CORNERS, national journal of Lycoming College with a focus on jazz-related literature, publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction will begin reading unsolicited manuscripts in September. Details HERE.
THE BROKE BOHEMIAN, Bohemian Lifestyle Boutique was “Established in four different states, The Broke Bohemian seasonally publishes artists and writers all across North America and beyond. Our volunteer staff dedicate their time to discovering those whose words have gone unrepresented and disregarded. Whose art wanders freely, unbound, and liberated. We seek out those with the gumption to stand up and speak their minds, and we donate to those who can’t.Fifty-percent of all donations to the Bohemian are given to the ACLU!” The deadline for the summer issue is June 14. Interest is in submissions of short fiction, prose, essays, flash, micro-fiction, poetry or images. Submissions must be unpublished, original work. Details HERE.
CUTBANK, The Literary Journal o the University of Montana, reads general submissions of poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction beginning on September 15. $15 reading fee. Details HERE.
HARPUR PALATE, a literary journal published bi-annually by the English Depart of Binghamton University, publishes poetry, fiction and creative nonfiction.The reading period or the Winter issue is September 1 – November 15. Submission details HERE.
MAKE MAGAZINE is open for submission to its eighteenth issue, themed “Mad Science.” Submissions of poetry, fiction, nonfiction or ephemera representative of the sciences are welcome for consideration through deadline May 31. Details HERE.
OTIS NEBULA PRESS publishes a semi-annual zine and occasional print publications and ebooks. Submissions to the zine are currently open for poetry and prose. Details HERE.
PARHELION LITERARY MAGAZINE (first issue came out in April) publishes poetry, visual art, fiction and nonfiction and reads on a rolling basis, though the editors do not read in July and December. Unpublished submission from both new and established writers. No submission fee. No payment. Details HERE.
THE PARIS REVIEW accepts submission by snail mail only: include hard copy, stamped-self-addressed return envelope, cover letter and be sure to address your submission to the correct editor. Pitches for nonfiction stories on arts and culture for the online Daily should be submitted by email. Details HERE.
SMARTISH PACE welcomes submissions o poetry, translations of poetry, book reviews and essays on poetry and interviews with poets. Details HERE.
ZONE 3 Press and Journal reading period will open on August 1st and runs through April 1st. Editors are interested in poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Details HERE.
Call for submission for the September issue.
THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be. Submissions for the September issue – themed Sustainability – close on August 10 at 11:59 p.m. PDT .
Please send text in the body of the email not as an attachment. Send photographs or illustrations as attachments. No google docs or Dropbox or other such. No rich text. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication is September 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos or essays), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration.
No demographic restrictions.
Please read at least one issue and the Intro/Mission Statement and Submission Guidelines. We DO NOT publish anything that promotes hate, divisiveness or violence or that is scornful or in any way dismissive of “other” peoples.
- September 2018 issue, Deadline August 10th, Theme: Human Rights/Social Justice
- December 2018 issue, Deadline November 10th, Theme: A Life of the Spirit
The BeZine is an entirely volunteer effort, a mission. It is not a paying market but neither does it charge submission or subscription fees.
Previously published work may be submitted IF you hold the copyright. Submissions from beginning and emerging artists as well as pro are encouraged and we have a special interest in getting more submissions of short stores, feature articles, music videos and art for consideration.
ARTS & LETTERS Unclassified Contest is open through July 31. Entry fee is $8. Cash award: $500. Details HERE.
NARRATIVE MAGAZINE 10th Annual Poetry Contest closes on July 15. Submission fee. Cash awards. Details HERE.
CUTBANK’s The Big Sky, Small Prose Flash Contest opens on August 16 and closes on September 16.Submission fee: $7. Cash award: $50. Details HERE. Scroll down on the page for 2018 Genre Contests.
OTHER NEWS and INFORMATION
- When Philip Roth Retired: “I read Dostoevsky, I read Conrad . . .”, Best American Poetry is reposting some features to honor Roth (1933-2018)
- Sweet Girls and Other Poems by Cate Lycurgus, Narrative Magazine
- Heliopause by Heather Christle, Reviewed by K. Rose Miller, MAKE magazine
- How to Get Your Literature Published, Absinthe Literary Review (A short piece advising newbies.)
- Ampersand Interview Series: Shawndra Miller, Arts & Letters
Accessible anytime from anywhere in the world:
- The Poet by Day always available online with poems, poets and writers, news and information.
- The Poet by Day, Wednesday Writing Prompt, online every week (except for vacation) and all are invited to take part no matter the stage of career or status. Poems related to the challenge of the week (always theme based not form based) will be published here on the following Tuesday.
- The Poet by Day, Sunday Announcements. Every week (except for vacation) opportunity knocks for poets and writers. Due to other Sunday commitments, this post will often go up late in the day.
- THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be – always online HERE.
- Beguine Again, daily inspiration and spiritual practice – always online HERE. Beguine Again is the sister site to The BeZine.
WEDNESDAY WRITING PROMPT
Response deadline is Monday, May 28th at 8 p.m. PDT. All poems shared on them will be published on this site on Tuesday, the 29th. Details HERE.
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to email@example.com. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything.Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: thepoetbyday@
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: bardogroup@
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information– and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.