CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
LUMINA LITERARY JOURNAL (Sarah Lawrence College) states that its mission “has always been to create a journal where the experimental and traditional are celebrated together, transforming into something innovative and exciting.” Submissions are open through November 5 for the next issue. The theme is “Resistance,” which the editors define as “resisting political powers, social norms, destructive impulses, negative influences, the desire to give up, or something else.” Prose, poetry and multimedia are of interest. Details HERE.
ELLIPSIS … LITERATURE AND ART is an annual publication sponsored by Westminster College and run by students. Poetry, short fiction, creative nonfiction, drama and art may be submitted for consideration. Publication is in April. Submission deadline is November 1 for everything but art. Art submissions are open through February 1st. $10 per accepted poem. $50 for pose and cover art. Payment includes two copies. Details HERE.
EYE FLASH JOURNAL is another fledgling poetry publication. It is founded in England (south) and states a desire to showcase “the most striking contemporary poetry that will burn fresh images into the reader’s consciousness.” The first edition is schedule to come out in October and the plan is to publish two issues a year. They’re not on submittable yet so submission are by email. There’s not too much detail on their site but what there is can be found HERE.
ATEMISpoetry, the journal of Second Light Network of Women Poets deadline (reminder) for the November issue is coming up: August 31. They do not accept electronic submissions. If you have something ready and you live in London your submission might make the deadline. There’s also always the next issue that comes out in May 2018. Details HERE.
WALLOON WRITERS REVIEW “shares original creative writing and photography inspired by Northern Michigan and the Upper Peninsula …” The editors announce a call for their 2017 Volume 3 issue. 3,000 word limit and $5 submission fee “a portion of which is donated to area non profits that preserve the natural beauty of the region.” Deadline: September 31, 2017. Details HERE.
RIGGWELTER is a fledgling journal found this year by Manchester poet and playwright, Amy Kinsman. The first issue schedule to publish in September. Submissions of poetry, short fiction, visual art and experimental media are welcome for consideration for future issues. Details HERE. riggwelter (verb) – a dialect word from the North of England. a sheep, having fallen onto its back, being unable to right itself is said to be riggweltered (e.g. bloody thing’s riggweltered again).
THE HAMILTON STONE REVIEW is a literary magazine published twice a year. Poetry submissions are currently open through September 17. Details HERE.
FINGERS ON THE BUTTON “Is an ear movie, a podcast, a literary journal on tape? Let’s just call Fingers on the Button an audio Experience …” First season: early 2018. Opportunity for both voice actors and writers. Details for writers HERE. Submission guidelines HERE.
POETS READING THE NEWS, The World’s Only Newspaper Written by Poets is a digital publication “bridging poetry and journalism.” Poems should be about a “time-sensitive news event.” Videos and audio submissions are encouraged. Submit via email. Details HERE.
ELLIPSIS … LITERATURE AND ART is an annual publication sponsored by Westminster College and run by students. Poems submitted are judged by Srikanth Reddy in 2018 for an annual contest. Details HERE.
OMNIDAWN sponsors several poetry contests each year including single poem, chapbook and first/second poetry book. All are now open for submissions. Entry fees. Cash awards. Details HERE.
2018 SONIA SANCHEZ-LANGSTON HUGHES POETRY CONTEST sponsored by Split This Rock. Deadline: November 1, 2017. Reading fee. Cash awards. Details HERE.
The Nuclear Age Peace Foundation, a non-profit, non-partisan 501(c)3 organization based in Santa Barbara, California, hosts two peace contests each year:
- THE 2018 Barbara Mandingo Kelly Peace Poetry Awards ” is an annual series of awards to encourage poets to explore and illuminate positive visions of peace and the human spirit. The Poetry Awards include three age categories: Adult, Youth 13-18, and Youth 12 & Under. The deadline for entries was July 1, 2018. Entry fees. Cash awards. Details HERE. The annual contest is open to people worldwide. Poems must be original, unpublished, and in English.
- The Swackhamer Disarmament Video Contest calls for contestants to submit short videos on an aspect of nuclear disarmament (the specific topic is announced on February 1 each year). The deadline for submissions is April 1. Details HERE
2017 first prize video award winner:
- The 15th Annual Sarah Lawrence College Poetry Festival is scheduled for April 20 – 23, 2018. Details to come HERE.
- 100,000 Poets for Change (100TPC) events happening globally on September 30, 2017. Check HERE to search for an event near you. Watch The Poet by Day for news on The BeZine virtual 100TPC, which is open to anyone anywhere. Questions??? email me (Jamie Dedes) at firstname.lastname@example.org As notices from around the world come in they’re also published on The Poet by Day Facebook page.
- For UK events be sure to watch Anne Stewart’s poetry pf Watch Second Light Network of Women Poets for information on its events and distance-learning classes.Watch Myra Schneider’s site for her readings, classes and other info of interest to poets and writers.
- The Poet by Day Wednesday Writing Prompt (weekly) offers a suggestive – often inspirational – prompt and opportunity to be published. All work related to the prompt and submitted no later than the following Monday will be published on the following Tuesday.
- A new and exciting issue of The BeZine is published every month on the 15th. Beginning January 2018, we’ll move to a quarterly publication schedule. Details to follow on this site as they are worked out.
Courtesy of poet and artist, Sonja Benskin Mesher, R.C.A.
- The 135h Annual Summer Exhibition features the work of Royal Cambrian Academy of Arts is ongoing through 10 September 2017. Details HERE.
- Private View of the United Society of Artists, 94th Open Exhibition on Tuesday 5 September 2017 from 6-8:30 pm at The Menier Gallery, 51 Southwark Street, London SE1 1RU
OTHER NEWS AND INFORMATION
Poetry and Music
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to email@example.com. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- though your book or other product doesn’t have to be available through Amazon for review here, it should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
Often information is just that – information – and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications featured in Sunday Announcements or elsewhere on this site. Awards and contests are often a means to generate income and publicity for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I am homebound due to disability and no longer attend events. Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.
Affiliate Links Disclosure:
Some product links within posts are Amazon affiliate links. The Poet by Day is supported in part by these links. Your use of them costs you nothing and helps to keep this site running. When you click on a affiliate link (not all links are affiliate) and/or make a purchase I sometimes receive a small percentage of the purchase price. Thank you for your support.
ABOUT THE POET BY DAY