CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
BOULEVARD MAGAZINE publishes fiction, nonfiction and poetry and will begin its reading period on October 1st. $3 submission fee. Payment. Details HERE.
COLORADO STATE UNIVERSITY, CENTER FOR LITERARY PUBLISHING considers fiction, nonfiction and poetry from May 1 – July 31. Paying market. Details HERE.
CONFRONTATION MAGAZINE publishes stories, nonfiction and poetry. The next reading period begins on August 15th. Payment. Details HERE.
CONNOTATION PRESS “accepts submissions in poetry, fiction, creative nonfiction, play writing, screenplay, interview, book review, music review, video (for spoken word or music or…), etc. Basically, we′re looking at virtually every genre or crossover genre you can create.” No submission fee. No payment. Details HERE.
FIELD: CONTEMPORARY POETRY AND POETICS is published by Oberlin College Press twice a year, spring and fall issues since 1969. Reading will begin in August. Modest payment. Details HERE.
FOUR TIES LIT REVIEW is accepting submissions of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, art, graphic storytelling and book reviews through June 1st. This is for the seventh volume. Tip jar. Critique option. Details HERE.
HERSTORIES PROJECT is interested in opinion pieces, informational articles and first-person essays from Gen-X women in midlife. Payment: $80. Details HERE. This publisher also seeks theme-based stories for its newsletter and hosts The HerStory Personal Essay Challenge.
HUNGRY HILL WRITING publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Details HERE.
LITMAG publishes fiction, nonfiction and poetry and is open for submissions: fiction through July 31st; poetry through June 30th, Nonfiction through July 31st; LitMag Online through July 31st. $3 submission fee. Free submissions for fiction, nonfiction and poetry from June 1-15. Paying market. Details HERE.
TERRAIN.ORG, a Journal of the Built + Natural Environments is accepting submissions of poetry, fiction, nonfiction, interviews, reviews, art and videos through May 31st. Details HERE.
TIN HOUSE will begin accepting submission of fiction, nonfiction and poetry in September for its summer 2019 issue. No submission fee. No payment. Details HERE.
Call for submission for the June issue.
THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be. Submissions for the June issue – themed Sustainability –close on May 10 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.
New rules: Please send text in the body of the email not as an attachment. Send photographs or illustrations as attachments. No google docs or Dropbox or other such. No rich text. Send submissions to bardogroup@.
Publication is June 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos or essays), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration.
No demographic restrictions.
Please read at least one issue and the Intro/Mission Statement and Submission Guidelines. We DO NOT publish anything that promotes hate, divisiveness or violence or that is scornful or in any way dismissive of “other” peoples.
- June 2018 issue, Deadline May 10th. Theme: Sustainability
- September 2018 issue, Deadline August 10th, Theme: Human Rights/Social Justice
- December 2018 issue, Deadline November 10th, Theme: A Life of the Spirit
Deadline for the June issue is extend to May 20th.
The BeZine is an entirely volunteer effort, a mission. It is not a paying market but neither does it charge submission or subscription fees.
Previously published work may be submitted IF you hold the copyright. Submissions from beginning and emerging artists as well as pro are encouraged and we have a special interest in getting more submissions of short stores, feature articles, music videos and art for consideration.
MAGMA POETRY will announce the details for its pamphlet competition soon. Watch the site for information.
TARTS FICTION AWARD of Livingston Press at the University of West Alabama yearly deadline is December 31st. The entry fee is $20. Standard royality contract. Details HERE.
TERRAIN.ORG, 9th Annual Contest in Poetry, Nonfiction and Fiction is accepting submissions through September 3. $15 submission fee. Cash award: $500 to first place. Publication for first place winner and finalists. Jane Hirschfeld is the poetry judge. Details HERE.
WRITERS DIGEST 87TH ANNUAL COMPETITIONS closes on May 4th. The categories are: Inspirational Writing (Spiritual/Religious); Memoirs/Personal Essay; Magazine Feature Article; Genre Short Story (Mystery, Romance, etc.; Mainstream/Literary Short Story; Rhyming Poetry; Non-rhyming Poetry; Script (Stage Play or Television/Movie Scrip; Children’s/Young Adult Fiction. Submission fees. Cash awards. Details HERE.
- HUNGRY HILL WRITING Poetry Fridays (Ireland) are open to all, on the last Friday of each month at whiteRoom in Castletownbere from 8pm for informal readings ( your own poems or poems by other people ), discussion, or just listening. Details HERE.
Accessible anytime from anywhere in the world:
- The Poet by Day always available online with poems, poets and writers, news and information.
- The Poet by Day, Wednesday Writing Prompt, online every week (except for vacation) and all are invited to take part no matter the stage of career or status. Poems related to the challenge of the week (always theme based not form based) will be published here on the following Tuesday.
- The Poet by Day, Sunday Announcements. Every week (except for vacation) opportunity knocks for poets and writers. Due to other Sunday commitments, this post will often go up late in the day.
- THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be – always online HERE.
- Beguine Again, daily inspiration and spiritual practice – always online HERE. Beguine Again is the sister site to The BeZine.
NEWS and OTHER INFORMATION
- Rita Dove to Become New York Times Magazine’s Poetry Editor, Anne E Promley, UVA Today (University of Virginia)
- Allow Poetry to Transport You, Stephanie Velasquest, MySA
- How Poetry and Math Intersect, Evelyn Lamb, Smithsonian.com
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to email@example.com (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything.Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: thepoetbyday@
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: bardogroup@
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information– and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.
- The Poet by Day, an information hub serving poets and writers
- The BeZine, founding and managing editor
- Beguine Again, regular contributor
- Second Light Network of Women Poets, professional affiliation