October is BREAST CANCER AWARENESS month in the U.S., though the problem is not limited to this country alone. Something that folks are not aware of is that as many people die each year of PULMONARY FIBROSIS (PF) as they do of breast cancer.
One of the 360 potential causes of lung fibrosis is radiation and chemotherapy for breast and other cancers. Unfortunately, PF – while quite prevalent – is less well-known and the funding for research isn’t there as it is for breast cancer.
September was Pulmonary Fibrosis Awareness Month. Life expectancy for people diagnosed with Pulmonary Fibrosis is less than five years. Lung transplant is sometimes a possible recourse.
Related articles and helpful sites:
- World Health Organization: Breast cancer prevention and control
- Breast Cancer in Men: Symptoms, Causes, Treatments
- Fifteen Cancer Symptoms Women Shouldn’t Ignore
- Pulmonary Fibrosis Foundation
- Pulmonary Fibrosis Symptoms
- Lung Transplant
© 2014, photograph, Jamie Dedes