Happy Easter – eyd fash saeid – to my family and others who are honoring the day. xo Chag sameach to my Jewish friends who are honoring Passover. xo No matter religion or lack thereof, may our hearts, minds, souls and bodies be ever free. I hope everyone enjoyed the day and now – LOL! – back to work.
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
DIRTY PAWS POETRY REVIEW published its first issue in December and is preparing to publish its second. Submissions are now open through May 25, 2018. There is to be a special section of Women of the South. Details HERE.
OYSTER RIVER PAGES has published its inaugural issue featuring fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction, and visual arts by sixty-plus contributors. It is an annual publication with an open call for submissions to its second issue through May 15, 2018. No submission fees. No payment. Details HERE. Internship 2019: Opens for applications in December 2018.
RATTLE publishes poetry and translations of poetry. It is open for submissions year round. There are no fees for submissions. Payment for print publication is $100 and a subscription. Publication online is paid $50. Rattle’s 2018 Fall issue is dedicated to previously unpublished poets. Rattle’s editors say it will celebrate fifteen or twenty first-publications. The deadline for submissions to the Unpublished Poets issue is April 15. All free submissions are automatically considered for the annual Neil Postman Award for Metaphor, a $1,000 prize judged by the editors.
RATTLE YOUNG POETS ANTHOLOGY requires parent, legal guardian or teachers to submit poems. Teachers may submit poems from up to five students. Submissions are open through June 15, 2018. Youth must be under sixteen years. Details HERE.
RED HEN PRESS, A Nonprofit Literary Organization, publishes fiction, nonfiction and poetry books. Submission guidelines are HERE.
THE RUSH LITERARY MAGAZINE, a publication of the MFA program in Creative Writing at St. Mary’s University in Los Angeles is accepting submission of poetry, fiction, nonfiction and visual art and photography through April 15, 2018. No submission fees. No payment. Details HERE.
STILL POINT ARTS QUARTERLY, a publication of Sharti Arts, is honoring the 75th anniversary of the 1943 publications of Norman Rockwell’s Four Freedoms paintings, These were based on President F.D.R.’s 1941 State of the Union address with its fall issue, The Four Freedoms Reinterpreted. The April 1 deadline for writing submissions has been extended though May 1, 2018. Submissions may include fiction, non-fiction, essay and poetry. The art submissions deadline is July 1, 2018 and includes painting, drawing, photography, sculpture and more. Acceptance notification by August 1. Details HERE. Shanti Arts also offers online classes in writing and photograph that run from $160-$190. Details HERE.
THE 2018 AGNES LYNCH STARRETT POETRY PRIZE COMPETIONS of The University of Pittsburgh Press is open for submissions through April 30, 2018. $25 submission fee. Cash award of $5,000 and publication. Details HERE.
THE CAROLYN FORCHÉ PRIZE FOR HUMANITARIAN POETRY is open through August 15, 2018. The prize winner and ten runner-ups will be published in the 2018-2019 anthology, Elusions: Refugee Poems, to be published by WaterWood Press. Cash award: $1,000. Submission fee: $10. Details HERE.
“Different people have articulated … [poetry as] the natural prayer of the human soul. I feel very blessed to have this vocation. ” Carolyn Forchè
THE CLIFF BECKER BOOK PRIZE IN POETRY TRANSLATION for a book-length manuscript is $1,000 and publication by White Pine Press. Submissions accepted through April 16, 2018. Submission fee: $25. Details HERE.
$10,000 RATTLE POETRY PRIZE submission deadline: July 15, 2018. $25 entry fee. Details HERE.
RED HEN PRESS LITERARY AWARDS offeres several opportunities each year. Two of their competitions are currently open for submissions: The Quill Prose Award (150 pages by a queer writer), which closes on August 31, has an entry fee of $10 and a cash award ($1,000) and publication; 2018 Red Hen Press Nonfiction Award, closes on April 30, $20 entry fee, and $,1000 cash award and publication.
THE DIAGRAM 2018 CHAPBOOK CONTEST is accepting submission through April 27. Entry fee: $20. Cash award of $1,000 and publication. Details HERE
RUTH LILLY and DOROTHY SARGENT ROSENBERG POETRY FELLOWSHIPS sponsored by the Poetry Foundation (U.S.) is a national competitionaccepting application through April 30, 2018 from poets age 21 – 31 years. The award is $25,800. Details HERE.
- East Bay Launch for “Invisible Gifts, Poems” (Manic D Press) with Maw Shein Win and Guests, Pegasus Books Downtown, Sunday April 15, 7:30 p.m. “Themes of vulnerability and power emerge through reflections on family, art, and loss from an award-winning poet.” Details HERE.
- Poetix: Poetry Events for Southern California
- UK Poetry Festivals,The Poetry Business
- The European Poetry Festival, April 5 – April 12, 2018. Forty poets. London. Five events. Details HERE.
- Book Festivals U.S., 2018, Book Reporter
- Bozhidar Pangelove, Bulgarian poet, for the publication of On the Sand They Remain in Oddball Magazine.
- Denise Fletcher, American poet, for two poems included in The Words Are in My Soul Anthology, available now at Amazon
- Michael Rothenberg, Terri Carrion and others in 100TPC for their poetic protest against gun violence, which was featured in the Tallahassee Democrat HERE.
OTHER NEWS AND INFORMATION
- The Politics of Blind Submissions, The Apogee Staff, Apogee Journal
- Protecting a Free and Open Society, PEN America speaks out about the Facebook debacle, The Poet by Day
- Elizabeth Ebert, “Grand Dame of Cowboy Poetry,” Dies at 93, Carson Vaughn, The New York Times
- Jay Bernard’s ‘personal and brave’ poetry wins Ted Hughes Award, Richard Lea, The Guardian
- Waging Peace, The BeZine Vol. 5, Issue 1, March 2018, The Poet by Day
- Wild Women in Art, Poetry and Community featuring Gretchen Del Rio’s Art and Victoria Bennett’s “The Howl or How Wild Women Press Came to Be, The Poet by Day
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to email@example.com (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything. Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: firstname.lastname@example.org
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: email@example.com
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information – and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.