Important Note: I value encouraging and supporting other poets and writers and sharing helpful news and information. For clarity and accuracy, if you have announcements to share the preferred method is to send complete information to firstname.lastname@example.org. Honestly, I find messaging cumbersome, hard to read and track, time-consuming and complicated by some personal challenges: mild dyslexia, poor vision and hand and finger tremors. Publication is subject to editorial discretion.
Addendum to last Sunday’s Announcements:
POETRY SOCIETY OF INDIANA, (Indiana State Federation of Poetry Clubs) 2017, 39th Annual Fall Rendezvous Poetry Contest July 1-Sept 1. Details HERE.
- David Grossman winner of the 2017 Man Booker International Prize for A Horse Walks Into a Bar (rather dark) and kudos to translator Jessica Cohen. David is the author of many works of fiction, nonfiction, and children’s literature. His work has appeared in The New Yorker and has been translated into thirty languages around the world. He is the recipient of many prizes, including the French Chevalier de l’Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, the Buxtehuder Bulle in Germany, Rome’s Premio per la Pace e l’Azione Umitaria, the Premio Ischia— International Award for Journalism, Israel’s Emet Prize, and the Albatross Prize given by the Günter Grass Foundation.
- Poet, actor and translator, Hélène Cardona for her work in translation from French and Spanish including Beyond Elsewhere (Gabriel Arnou-Laujeac, White Pine Press, Walt Whitman’s Civil War Writings for WhitmanWeb. Helene also translations from the Spanish of her father José Manuel Cardona’s The Birnam Wood (El Bosque de Birnam, Consell Insular d’Eivissa, 2007). You can read poetry excerpts and details on writers and poets HERE. News and updates on Helene’s poetry collections and her translations HERE.
NEWS & INFORMATION
Privacy & Technology – Reading and Your Civil Rights
- “The TSA is testing new requirements that passengers remove books and other paper goods from their carry-on baggage when going through airline security. Given the sensitivity of our reading choices, this raises privacy concerns.” MORE ACLU
- Why Did the Government Search an Artist’s iPhone at the Border?, Matt Cagle & Chris Conley, ACLU of Northern California
- “The Untold Tales of Armistead Maupin,” Film Review by David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter
- Toni Morrison Dispenses Sound Writing Advice: Tips you Can Apply to Your Own Work, Open Culture
- Amazon 2017 Best Sellers for your summer reading list
- The Work You Do, The Person You Are, Toni Morrison, The New Yorker
Often information is just that – information – and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications featured in Sunday Announcements or elsewhere on this site. Awards and contests are often a means to generate income and publicity for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I am homebound due to disabiliity and no longer attend events. Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products or paying fees, or attending events et al.
ABOUT THE POET BY DAY
- The Poet by Day, an information hub serving poets and writers
- The WordPlay Shop: books, tools and supplies for poets, writers and readers
- Full Disclosure