Horror at the San Mateo Public Library … Spooky Call for Submissions
With Halloween a scant two weeks away, it’s that time of year when many poets and writers turn their minds and pens to the macabre. There are more than a few of you in our community who actually spend almost all your time there as triple threats: poets, short-story writers and novelists. So, thanks to my friend and neighbor, Candice, who did the driving, I bring you last night’s ~
Horror at the San Mateo Public Library
The evening treats were delivered by four smart and inventive writers from horroradicts.net. It was a fun few hours with readings, thoroughly enjoyed by all, and featuring:
- Sumiko Saulson, a science-fiction, fantasy and horror writer, the 2016 recipient of the Horror Writer Associations’ Scholarship from Hell. Her novels include The Moon Cried Blood and the bestselling horror comedy, Warmth.
- Trinity Adler‘s short story, Clockwork Justice, is featured in Horror Adicts Press 2017 anthology, Clockwork Wonderland. Her inclinations embrace Steampunk*, which is, she says, “a perfect fit for blending fantasy and the wild west.
- Laurel Ann Hill, a prolific writer of novels and short stories (many anthologized), authored the award-winning spirits-meet-steampunk novel, The Engine Woman’s Light, which tells of the life-saving mission of a young Latina spiritualist in the Nineteenth Century. The book received a Kirkus Star and the 2017 Independent Press Award, Steampunk Category.
- Emerian Rich, vivacious and all smiles, is adept at pushing reality aside and engaging in fantasy. Emerian is also a prolific writer and her latest work, Artistic License is due out this fall. She is the author of The Night’s Knight Vampire Series.
*Steampunk is a subgenre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-Century industrial steam-powered machinery. Although its literary origins are sometimes associated with the cyberpunk genre, steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th Century’s British Victorian era or American “Wild West”, in a future during which steam power has maintained mainstream usage or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power. MORE
HorrorAdicts.Net, For Horror Addicts, By Horror Addicts, an organizaton through which the women are affiliated, features writer interviews, stories, publishing news and calls for submissions. There is also on ongoing call for volunteer writers and interns to help run the site. It would appear to be an excellent go-to place if you are a horror fan and writer.
THE CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS is for Crescendo of Darkness, A Horror Anthology edited by Jeremiah Donaldson. The theme is music. Fiction from 2,000 to 5,000 words is welcome for consideration. If accepted the payment is $10 and a digital contributor copy. The deadline is October 31, 2017. Details are HERE.
ABOUT THE POET BY DAY
- The Poet by Day, an information hub serving poets and writers
- Coffee, Tea and Poetry, Simple Pleasures for Body, Mind and Spirit … “I say let the world go to hell, but I should always have my tea.” Fyodor Dostoyevsky, Notes from Underground