SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Calls for Submissions, Contests and Other Information and News
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
DESERT WILLOW PRESS is open to the submissions of 14 – 18 poems for chapbooks, which are its speciality. Details HERE.
FURROW MAGAZINE, An Undergraduate Literary Journal for UW-Milwaukee, publishes poetry, fiction, nonfiction, art and comics by undergraduate student. The next reading period runs from December 1, 2018 – February 20, 2019. Details HERE.
THE MATADOR REVIEW, alternative art and literature, is now accepting submissions for the Summer 2018 publication. Deadline: May 21. The review is interested in poetry, fiction, flash fiction, and creative non-fiction, inviting all unpublished literature written in the English language (and translations that are accompanied by the original text) as well as many forms of visual art. Submission information can be found at: www.matadorreview.com/submissions ; Submissions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org ; Questions and concerns can be sent to email@example.com;
NARRATIVE MAGAZINE has a year-round open call for submission including fiction, nonfiction and poetry. Reading fee. Payments. Details HERE.
POETICA MAGAZINE, Contemporary Jewish Writing has an open call for submissions to its 2018 poetry anthology. Deadline: August 31. Details HERE.
STRATA MAGAZINE reads submissions of short fiction, poetry, flash fiction and libretti, interviews, essays, columns or series, criticism, visual art, multi-media collections, travel writing and reportage. on a rolling basis. Details HERE.
WIZARDS IN SPACE MAGAZINE publishes poetry (up to five pages), speculative fiction, political and personal, faith, identity, love, loss, and humanity. Deadline May 26. Details HERE.
Call for submission for the June issue.
THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be. Submissions for the June issue – themed Sustainability –close on May 10 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.
New rules: Please send text in the body of the email not as an attachment. Send photographs or illustrations as attachments. No google docs or Dropbox or other such. No rich text. Send submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Publication is June 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos or essays), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration.
No demographic restrictions.
Please read at least one issue and the Intro/Mission Statement and Submission Guidelines. We DO NOT publish anything that promotes hate, divisiveness or violence or that is scornful or in any way dismissive of “other” peoples.
- June 2018 issue, Deadline May 10th. Theme: Sustainability
- September 2018 issue, Deadline August 10th, Theme: Human Rights/Social Justice
- December 2018 issue, Deadline November 10th, Theme: A Life of the Spirit
Deadline for the June issue is extend to May 20th.
The BeZine is an entirely volunteer effort, a mission. It is not a paying market but neither does it charge submission or subscription fees.
Previously published work may be submitted IF you hold the copyright. Submissions from beginning and emerging artists as well as pro are encouraged and we have a special interest in getting more submissions of short stores, feature articles, music videos and art for consideration.
- THE NARRATIVE PRIZE for best short story. Cash award. Deadline for entries: June 15. Details HERE.
- 2018 Anna Davidson Rosenberg Award will open from June 1-January 15, 2018. Watch HERE for announcement.
- YEOVIL PRIZE of the Yeovil Community Arts Association awards best Novel (synopsis and opening chapters), short stories (up to 2,000 words), poetry (max of forty lines), Writing Without Restrictions and is open through May 31, 2018. No demographic restrictions. Cash award. Submission fee. Details HERE.
THE SWANEE REVIEW, First Annual Fiction & Poetry Contest will open July 1 – 31, 2018 for a set of 1-3 poems or a short story of up to 10,000 words. Cash award: $1,000 and publication. Details HERE. The poetry judge is Dan Chiasson.
SEQUESTRUM LITERATURE & ARTS 2018 New Writer Awards for fiction, nonfiction and poetry. Cash award and publication. Submission fee. Deadline: October 15, 2018. Details HERE.
MAGMA POETRY will announce the details for its pamphlet competition soon. Watch the site for information.
TARTS FICTION AWARD of Livingston Press at the University of West Alabamayearly deadline is December 31st. The entry fee is $20. Standard royality contract. Details HERE.
TERRAIN.ORG, 9th Annual Contest in Poetry, Nonfiction and Fiction is accepting submissions through September 3. $15 submission fee. Cash award: $500 to first place. Publication for first place winner and finalists. Jane Hirschfeld is the poetry judge. Details HERE.
Accessible anytime from anywhere in the world:
- The Poet by Day always available online with poems, poets and writers, news and information.
- The Poet by Day, Wednesday Writing Prompt, online every week (except for vacation) and all are invited to take part no matter the stage of career or status. Poems related to the challenge of the week (always theme based not form based) will be published here on the following Tuesday.
- The Poet by Day, Sunday Announcements. Every week (except for vacation) opportunity knocks for poets and writers. Due to other Sunday commitments, this post will often go up late in the day.
- THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be – always online HERE.
- Beguine Again, daily inspiration and spiritual practice – always online HERE. Beguine Again is the sister site to The BeZine.
WEDNESDAY WRITING PROMPT
- responses to the last prompt – your favorite time of year – are due by Monday, 8 p.m., May 14.
OTHER INFORMATION and NEWS
- The First Reviews of Every Virgina Wolf Novel, Book Marks, Literary Hug
- Kid Lit, blog by Mary Kole (chock full of info)
- Want to Be A Food Writer? Grub Street’s Alyssa Shelasky Tells You How, Alyssa Shelasky, Bon Appétite
- Where to Read and Publish Writing on Jewish Themes, Erika Dreifus, Writer, poet, Publicist, Resource Maven
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to email@example.com. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything.Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: email@example.com
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: firstname.lastname@example.org
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information– and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.
- The Poet by Day, an information hub serving poets and writers
- The BeZine, founding and managing editor
- Beguine Again, regular contributor
- Second Light Network of Women Poets, professional affiliation