SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Calls for Submissions, Contests, and Other Information and News
I am formally affiliated with The BeZine (email@example.com) and The Poet by Day (firstname.lastname@example.org). Read guidelines below for The BeZine before submitting. The Poet by Day is by invitation only except for participation in The Poet by Day/Wednesday Writing Prompt or if you have news for Sunday Announcements.
Please don’t send me submissions for other zines or magazines. The best I can do to help you get published is the info shared on this site, especially Sunday Announcements.
“Call for Submissions” means submissions through Submittable or via the magazine’s website or by eMail or snail mail. “Calls for Submissions” are NOT an invitation to telephone editors.
You’ll increase your odds of acceptance if you carefully read submission guidelines and one or two issues of a journal, zine or magazine to be sure that what you submit is appropriate and properly formatted.
Good luck and write on … ♥
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
BETTER THAN STARBUCKS, not your ordinary poetry magazine, publishes a range formal and informal verse. Featured poems: $20 payment otherwise payment for published work is choice of PDF copy or eBook. Accepts previously published work. Details HERE.
THE LYRIC MAGAZINE, the oldest  poetry magazine devoted to traditional poetry in North America. No submission fee. Payment on publication: contributor copy and eligibility for quarterly and annual prizes. Details HERE.
MEASURE PRESS considers full-length manuscripts: poetry, criticism and poetry instruction and is open for submissions open year round. Guidelines HERE.
NARRATIVE MAGAZINE publishes stories, book-length work, poetry and audio. Small submission fee for unsolicited work. Cash payments: $150 for a Story of the Week, with $400 each for the annual Top Five Stories of the Week; $150 to $350 for 500 to 2,000 word manuscripts; $350 to $1,000 for 2,000 to 15,000 word manuscripts. Rates for book-length works vary, depending on the length and nature of the work; $50 minimum for each accepted poem and audio piece. ($25 for poetry reprints); $200 each for the annual Top Five Poems of the Week; $100 for Readers’ Narratives. Details HERE.
THE NEW REPUBLIC accepts unsolicited submissions of poetry and nonfiction via email. Details HERE. Scroll down on the page.
ONE STORY (reminder) publishes literary fiction between 3,000 and 8,000 words. Next reading period is September 1 through November 15. Payment: $500 and 25 contributor copies. Details HERE. Also publishes One Teen Story.
THE ROAD NOT TAKEN, THE JOURNAL OF FORMAL POETRY will open for fall submission from August 1 through October 15. Details HERE.
SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE accepts unsolicited manuscripts from freelance writers. Details HERE.
TALES FROM THE FOREST invites submission for the ninth issue. The theme is: limits. Publishes art and poetry and stories that nod to limits and restrictions and obstacles and nuisances. In keeping with the theme. Fiction: no more than 750 words. Submit one piece only. Art: any medium. Submit one piece only. Poetry: any length. Submit one piece only. Deadline: Sunday September 16th.
TRIQUARTERLY of the MA/MFA program at Northwestern University is “an international journal of writing, art, and culture, which publishes fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, short drama, video essays, hybrid works, interviews and craft essays from established and emerging writers. Calls for poetry and videos for the fall and winter issues will open October, November and December. Calls for fiction and creative nonfiction will open in November and December. Craft essays and interviews are open year round. Modest submission fees. Honoria for published works. Details HERE.
Call for submission for the September issue.
THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be. Submissions for the September issue – themed Social Justice – close on August 10 at 11:59 p.m. PDT .
Please send text in the body of the email not as an attachment. Send photographs or illustrations as attachments. No google docs or Dropbox or other such. No rich text. Send submissions to email@example.com.
Publication is September 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos or essays), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration.
No demographic restrictions.
Please read at least one issue. We DO NOT publish anything that promotes hate, divisiveness or violence or that is scornful or in any way dismissive of “other” peoples.
- September 2018 issue, Deadline August 10th, Theme: Human Rights/Social Justice
- December 2018 issue, Deadline November 10th, Theme: A Life of the Spirit
The BeZine is an entirely volunteer effort, a mission. It is not a paying market but neither does it charge submission or subscription fees.
Previously published work may be submitted IF you hold the copyright. Submissions from beginning and emerging artists as well as pro are encouraged and we have a special interest in getting more submissions of short stores, feature articles, music videos and art for consideration.
The Poet by Day
WEDNESDAY WRITING PROMPT
Response deadline is Monday, June 25th at 11 p.m. PDT. All poems shared on theme will be published on this site on Tuesday, the 26th. Details HERE.
Last Tuesday’s collection of responses to Wednesday Writing Prompt had some errors. Please check in tomorrow to view the corrections to Paul’s and Irene’s poetry. You won’t be disappointed.
BETTER THAN STARBUCKS 2018 HAIKU CONTEST sponsored by John DeCesare and CraftekDesign. No entry fee. First prize $50; second prize $30; third prize $30. Deadline August 1, 2018. Details HERE.
UNIVERSITY OF CANBERRA VICE-CHANCELLOR INTERNATIONAL POETRY PRIZE is accepting entries through deadline 30 June 2018. Entry fee. Cash prize. Details HERE.
- Poet Anthony Wilson for his paper: “Towards a model of poetry writing development. It was presented on June 23 at at the Great Writing Conference (UK). You can link to download the PDF HERE.
- Dr. Aprilia Zank on being an official member of World nations Writers’ Union Kazakhstan.
OTHER INFORMATION and NEWS
- Notions of the Sacred: Poetry as Spiritual Practice, Jamie Dedes, The Poet by Day
- SOLIDARITY: 100,000 Poets (and Artists/Musicians/Friends) for Change, for Raising the Collective Consciousness, Jamie Dedes, Michael Rothenberg, Terri Carrion, The Poet by Day
- Donald Hall, Former Poet Laureate (US), Dies at 89, Jason Breslow, NPR
- Four poems from Plan B Press’ Full Moon on K Street: Poems About Washington, DC,Tina Darragh, Gray Jacobik, Tony Medina, and Ken Rumble, Beltway Poetry Quarterly
- The June issue of The BeZine is available HERE
Accessible anytime from anywhere in the world:
- The Poet by Day always available online with poems, poets and writers, news and information.
- The Poet by Day, Wednesday Writing Prompt, online every week (except for vacation) and all are invited to take part no matter the stage of career or status. Poems related to the challenge of the week (always theme based not form based) will be published here on the following Tuesday.
- The Poet by Day, Sunday Announcements. Every week (except for vacation) opportunity knocks for poets and writers. Due to other Sunday commitments, this post will often go up late in the day.
- THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be – always online HERE.
- Beguine Again, daily inspiration and spiritual practice – always online HERE. Beguine Again is the sister site to The BeZine.
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to email@example.com (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything.Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: thepoetbyday@
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: bardogroup@
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information– and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.
- The Poet by Day, an information hub serving poets and writers
- The BeZine, founding and managing editor
- Beguine Again, regular contributor
- Second Light Network of Women Poets, professional affiliation