SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Calls for Submissions, Contests, and Other Information and News
I am formally affiliated with The BeZine (email@example.com) and The Poet by Day (firstname.lastname@example.org). Read guidelines below for The BeZine before submitting. The Poet by Day is by invitation only except for participation in The Poet by Day/Wednesday Writing Prompt or if you have news for Sunday Announcements.
Please don’t send me submissions for other zines or magazines. The best I can do to help you get published is the info shared on this site, especially Sunday Announcements.
“Call for Submissions” means submissions through Submittable or via the magazine’s website or by eMail or snail mail. “Calls for Submissions” are NOT an invitation to telephone editors.
You’ll increase your odds of acceptance if you carefully read submission guidelines and one or two issues of a journal, zine or magazine to be sure that what you submit is appropriate and properly formatted.
Good luck and write on … ♥
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
AFTER THE PAUSE publishes poetry, flash fiction and art online in March, June, September and December. Details HERE. (Note: responds in ten days!!!)
THE AMERICAN POETRY REVIEW publishes diverse poetry and literary prose (essays, book reviews, interviews). Editors read year-round. Submission fee: $3. Details HERE.
DRIFTWOOD PRESS publishes fiction, poetry, visual arts and comics, craft essays and interviews. Payment varies. Details HERE.
EUNOIA REVIEW publishes poetry, fiction and creative non-fiction and reads on a rolling basis. Reprints accepted if you retain rights. No submission fee and no payment. Details HERE.
GREY MATTER PRESS publishes dark fiction. Though there is no current open call for submissions, you can get on an author notification list to receive call alerts HERE.
METAPHOROSIS MAGAZINE publishes stories with science fiction or fantasy settings of up to 10,000 words, though 1,000 – 6,000 is preferred. Payment: one cent per word. Details HERE. There is also an interest in cover art. Payment: $50. Details HERE.
MOON PARK REVIEW is currently reading stories to 750 words for its fifth issue to be published this fall. No deadline is offered. Details HERE.
THE PENN REVIEW of the University of Pennsylvania is on summer hiatus but expects to open for general submissions of poetry, nonfiction, fiction and visual art around September 1. Mark your calendar to check them out HERE.
Call for submissions for the September issue.
THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be. Submissions for the September issue – themed Social Justice – close on August 10 at 11:59 p.m. PDT .
Please send text in the body of the email not as an attachment. Send photographs or illustrations as attachments. No google docs or Dropbox or other such. No rich text. Send submissions to email@example.com.
Publication is September 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos or essays), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration.
No demographic restrictions.
Please read at least one issue. We DO NOT publish anything that promotes hate, divisiveness or violence or that is scornful or in any way dismissive of “other” peoples.
- September 2018 issue, Deadline August 10th, Theme: Human Rights/Social Justice
- December 2018 issue, Deadline November 10th, Theme: A Life of the Spirit
The BeZine is an entirely volunteer effort, a mission. It is not a paying market but neither does it charge submission or subscription fees.
Previously published work may be submitted IF you hold the copyright. Submissions from beginning and emerging artists as well as pro are encouraged and we have a special interest in getting more submissions of short stores, feature articles, music videos and art for consideration.
The Poet by Day
WEDNESDAY WRITING PROMPT
Response deadline is Monday, July 2, at 8 p.m. PDT. All poems shared on theme will be published on this site on Tuesday, the July 3. Details HERE.
AMERICAN POETRY REVIEW/Honickman First Book Prize. Submit manuscripts between August 1 and October 31, 2018. Final judge is Sharon Olds. Submission fee: $25. Cash award and publication by Copper Canyon Press through Consortium. Details HERE.
FRONTIER POETRY SUMMER POETRY AWARD‘s deadline is pending: July 15. Entry fee: $20. First prize: $2,000 award and publication. Honorable mention: $100 and publication. Details HERE.
THE PENN REVIEW (University of Pennsylvania) is offering a newly established poetry prize and submissions are accepted through October 31. Entry fee: $10. Cash award. Details HERE.
SIXFOLD is offering fiction and poetry prizes. $5 entry fee. Cash award. Unique: Awards are based on writer votes. Deadline: July 24. Details HERE.
OTHER INFORMATION AND NEWS
- The latest issue of Levure littéraire/Magazine international d’information et d’éducaation culturelle HERE. It includes quite a number of poets and writers that you have met on this site. Three of my poems are HERE. Special thanks to Hélène Cardona and other members of the editorial board. Exquisite. Worth your time.
- Words Without Borders (WWB) has been named a winner of the inaugural Whiting Literary Magazine Prizes, the Whiting Foundation announced today. The prizes recognize three magazines for their superb publishing, advocacy of writers, and importance to the literary community.
- The poet Donald Hall recently passed away. HERE is an interview – A Poet’s View … – from NPR’s special series on poetry. It was done in 2012.
“For 4 1/2 years now, I’ve hardly had a sad thought, except to curse a bit at my own clumsiness,” he says. “… I am physically handicapped, but I can sit at my chair and work at my writing, and I want to do it every day. I enjoy it. I have to do draft after draft. … It takes me a long time, but I love doing it, and I have to do it every day or I feel slack.” Donald Hall in the above referenced interview on NPR.
Accessible anytime from anywhere in the world:
- The Poet by Day always available online with poems, poets and writers, news and information.
- The Poet by Day, Wednesday Writing Prompt, online every week (except for vacation) and all are invited to take part no matter the stage of career or status. Poems related to the challenge of the week (always theme based not form based) will be published here on the following Tuesday.
- The Poet by Day, Sunday Announcements. Every week (except for vacation) opportunity knocks for poets and writers. Due to other Sunday commitments, this post will often go up late in the day.
- THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be – always online HERE.
- Beguine Again, daily inspiration and spiritual practice – always online HERE. Beguine Again is the sister site to The BeZine.
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to email@example.com (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything.Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: thepoetbyday@
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: bardogroup@
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information– and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.
Poet and writer, I was once columnist and associate editor of a regional employment publication. I currently run this site, The Poet by Day, an information hub for poets and writers. I am the managing editor of The BeZine published by The Bardo Group Beguines (originally The Bardo Group), a virtual arts collective I founded. I am a weekly contributor to Beguine Again, a site showcasing spiritual writers. My work is featured in a variety of publications and on sites, including: Levure littéraure, Ramingo’s Porch, Vita Brevis Literature,Compass Rose, Connotation Press, The Bar None Group, Salamander Cove, Second Light, I Am Not a Silent Poet, Meta / Phor(e) /Play, and California Woman. My poetry was recently read by Northern California actor Richard Lingua for Poetry Woodshed, Belfast Community Radio. I was featured in a lengthy interview on the Creative Nexus Radio Show where I was dubbed “Poetry Champion.”
* The BeZine: Waging the Peace, An Interfaith Exploration featuring Fr. Daniel Sormani, Rev. Benjamin Meyers, and the Venerable Bhikkhu Bodhi among others
“Every pair of eyes facing you has probably experienced something you could not endure.” Lucille Clifton