SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS: Calls for Submissions, Contests and Other News and Information
“I must create a system, or be enslaved by another man’s. I will not reason and compare: my business is to create.” William Blake,
CALLS FOR SUBMISSIONS
THE CINCINNATI REVIEW, University of Cincinnati accepts submissions starting on September 1 and going through March 1. miCRo submissions for its weekly online flash features, hybrid works and poetry are open all year. No submission fee. No payment. Tip jar. Details HERE.
ENTROPY MAGAZINE publishes quite a wide range of material including poetry. Guidelines HERE.
INTO THE VOID, Gripping, Unflinching, Award-Winning Literature & Art publishes short stories, creative nonfiction, flash fiction, poetry and images. The deadline for Issue 9 ends June 7. Details HERE.
NARRATIVE publishes poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Calls are open for General Submissions, Story of the Week, Poem of the Week, iStory, iPoem, Six-word Stories, Cartoons and Graphic Stories. Paying market. Submission fees can be as high as $22. Details HERE.
SPLIT ROCK REVIEW has an open call for submissions to its Waters Deep: A Great Lakes Poetry Anthology. Deadline is June 30, 2018. Calls for journal submissions of poetry, short creative nonfiction, graphic narratives and comics, artwork and cover art for its fall issue close on July 31, 2018. Details HERE.
THE STRAND MAGAZINE publishes mystery and suspense. Query by email firstname.lastname@example.org. Website HERE.
YEMASSEE, The Official Journal of the University of South Carolina Since 1993, reads year-round for poetry, fiction and nonfiction. Details HERE.
ZETETIC: A Record of Unusual Inquiry publishes prose and poetry and is a paying market. Details HERE.
Call for submission for the June issue.
THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be. Submissions for the June issue – themed Sustainability –close on May 10 at 11:59 p.m. PDT.
New rules: Please send text in the body of the email not as an attachment. Send photographs or illustrations as attachments. No google docs or Dropbox or other such. No rich text. Send submissions to bardogroup@.
Publication is June 15th. Poetry, essays, fiction and creative nonfiction, art and photography, music (videos or essays), and whatever lends itself to online presentation is welcome for consideration.
No demographic restrictions.
Please read at least one issue and the Intro/Mission Statement and Submission Guidelines. We DO NOT publish anything that promotes hate, divisiveness or violence or that is scornful or in any way dismissive of “other” peoples.
- June 2018 issue, Deadline May 10th. Theme: Sustainability
- September 2018 issue, Deadline August 10th, Theme: Human Rights/Social Justice
- December 2018 issue, Deadline November 10th, Theme: A Life of the Spirit
Deadline for the June issue is extend to May 20th.
The BeZine is an entirely volunteer effort, a mission. It is not a paying market but neither does it charge submission or subscription fees.
Previously published work may be submitted IF you hold the copyright. Submissions from beginning and emerging artists as well as pro are encouraged and we have a special interest in getting more submissions of short stores, feature articles, music videos and art for consideration.
THE SWANEE REVIEW, First Annual Fiction & Poetry Contest will open July 1 – 31, 2018 for a set of 1-3 poems or a short story of up to 10,000 words. Cash award: $1,000 and publication. Details HERE. The poetry judge is Dan Chiasson.
SEQUESTRUM LITERATURE & ARTS 2018 New Writer Awards for fiction, nonfiction and poetry. Cash award and publication. Submission fee. Deadline: October 15, 2018. Details HERE.
MAGMA POETRY will announce the details for its pamphlet competition soon. Watch the site for information.
TARTS FICTION AWARD of Livingston Press at the University of West Alabamayearly deadline is December 31st. The entry fee is $20. Standard royality contract. Details HERE.
TERRAIN.ORG, 9th Annual Contest in Poetry, Nonfiction and Fiction is accepting submissions through September 3. $15 submission fee. Cash award: $500 to first place. Publication for first place winner and finalists. Jane Hirschfeld is the poetry judge. Details HERE.
- WRITER’S DIGEST ANNUAL CONFERENCE, NYC, August 10-12, 2018. Details HERE.
- SEWANEE WRITERS’ CONFERENCE, hosted by the University of the South, July 17-29, 2018. Details HERE.
- THE BREADLOAF WRITERS CONFERENCE, August 15 – August 25, 2018. Details HERE.
- OPEN MOUTH POETRY FESTIVAL, November 1-3, 2018, Fayetteville, Arkansas. Workshops. Readings. Details HERE.
- ART and DHARMA, Cultivating Awareness through Creative Expression, Spirit Rock Meditation Center, May 19, 2018. “Experientially explore our inherent potential for spacious awareness by weaving together music, visual art, textile and other mediums. There will be periods of sitting, walking in nature, and time for our creative expression. Through mindfulness practices and play, we hope to deepen our awareness of the moment-to-moment ebb and flow of life as it awakens our senses. We welcome artists and those who don’t consider themselves artists! Bring your interest, curiosity, love of the Dharma to this day. Participants are encouraged to bring their own artwork as part of this experiential day. Starting at $75 PAWAN BAREJA, PHD, has a body-oriented counseling practice based on Peter Levine’s Somatic Experiencing™ (SE) work for coping with trauma and life changes, and is also an assistant in SE Trainings. She is currently in the Spirit Rock Teacher Training program. Register here https://calendar.spiritrock.org/events/art-and-dharma/
- CALIFORNIA BOOK AWARDS CEREMONY, June 11, 2018, 415-869-5939 email@example.com
- And on May 19th in Morocco :
Accessible anytime from anywhere in the world:
- The Poet by Day always available online with poems, poets and writers, news and information.
- The Poet by Day, Wednesday Writing Prompt, online every week (except for vacation) and all are invited to take part no matter the stage of career or status. Poems related to the challenge of the week (always theme based not form based) will be published here on the following Tuesday.
- The Poet by Day, Sunday Announcements. Every week (except for vacation) opportunity knocks for poets and writers. Due to other Sunday commitments, this post will often go up late in the day.
- THE BeZINE, Be Inspired, Be Creative, Be Peace, Be – always online HERE.
- Beguine Again, daily inspiration and spiritual practice – always online HERE. Beguine Again is the sister site to The BeZine.
WEDNESDAY WRITING PROMPT
- responses to the last prompt – A Hunger for Bone – are due by Monday, 8 p.m., May 7.
- MICHAEL ROTHENBURG, cofounder of 100,000 Poets for Change. Michael’s novel, The Drums of Grace, is being issued as an audiobook! Johnny Lee Schell, blues hall of fame guitarist, will produce the recording at Ultratone Studios (Eric Burdon, Loudon Wainwright III, Taj Majal). Michael says, “This is a dream….” … “Music as the healing force of the universe is the poet’s regard. It certainly is Michael Rothenberg’s in his fantastic prose dystopia where natural beauty is beyond the control of encroaching fascism. A fable not too distant from our contemporary climate of fear politics. Rise Up!” Thurston Moore, Sonic Youth
- PC VANDALL (PC VANDALL) for the publication of two poems in PRISM International.
- THERESA LOLA (poet.), named joint winner of the prestigious 2018 Brunel International African Poetry Prize.
- DEBASIS MUKHOPADHYAY (debasis Mukhopadhyay, between ink and inkblot) for recent publications in Better Than Starbucks (May 2018). Late last year his collection, Kyrie Eleison or all robins taken our of contest, was published.
- RL SENDRA (aka Sendra the Poet) for the publication of his chapbook, Getting Up and Falling Down (poetic salve for a difficult world).
OTHER INFORMATION & NEWS
- An Algorithmic Investigation of the Highfalutin “Poet Voice”, Cara Giaimo, Atlas obscure
- Martin Espada, the first Latino to be awarded the Poetry Foundation’s Ruth Lilly Poetry Prize, The Poet by Day
- Weird Comics and the Topology of Non-orientable Manifolds, James R. Cowles, The Poet by Day
- The BeZine 100,000 Poets (and friends) for Change, Jamie Dedes, The Poet by. Day
- Writing Tips, Archive, The Strand Magazine
YOUR SUNDAY ANNOUNCEMENTS may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do so at least a week in advance.
If you would like me to consider reviewing your book, chapbook, magazine or film, here are some general guidelines:
- send PDF to email@example.com (Note: I have a backlog of six or seven months, so at this writing I suggest you wait until June 2018 to forward anything.Thank you!)
- nothing that foments hate or misunderstanding
- nothing violent or encouraging of violence
- English only, though Spanish is okay if accompanied by translation
- your book or other product should be easy for readers to find through your site or other venues.
TO CONTACT ME WITH ANNOUNCEMENTS AND OTHER INFORMATION FOR THE POET BY DAY: thepoetbyday@
TO CONTACT ME REGARDING SUBMISSIONS FOR THE BeZINE: bardogroup@
PLEASE do not mix the communications between the two.
Often information is just that–information– and not necessarily recommendation. I haven’t worked with all the publications or other organizations featured in my regular Sunday Announcements or other announcements shared on this site. Awards and contests are often (generally) a means to generate income, publicity and marketing mailing lists for the host organizations, some of which are more reputable than others. I rarely attend events anymore. Caveat Emptor: Please be sure to verify information for yourself before submitting work, buying products, paying fees or attending events et al.
- The Poet by Day, an information hub serving poets and writers
- The BeZine, founding and managing editor
- Beguine Again, regular contributor
- Second Light Network of Women Poets, professional affiliation